Because Anime Sols is a thing and I need more old anime in my life: welcome to the watch list, Space Knight Tekkaman and Ninja Warrior Tobikage!
In Tekkaman (1975), Earth is doomed on two fronts: on one hand, terrible pollution; on the other, alien invasion. Johji Minami hopes to avenge his father and complete his work by helping humans move beyond the Solar System, and he fights with the robot Pegas and the powered armor that allows him to become Tekkaman. Notable credits include:
- Katsuji Mori as Johji Hayami. He also played Ken the Eagle in Gatchaman and Go Mifune in Speed Racer
- Miyuki Ueda as Hiromi Tenchi. She voiced pilots in the two super robot series I watched most recently: Combattler’s Chizuru Nanba and Voltes V’s Megumi Oka.
- Yasuo Yamada as Andro Umeda. His best known role is Lupin III, which he held until his death in 1995.
- Co-directed by Hisayuki Toriumi, whose other credits include Speed Racer, Gatchaman, and the Area 88 OVA.
Ninja Warrior Tobikage (1985) tells the story of a group of friends living on the Mars colony, where everyone is either a soldier or a laborer. Joe Maya dreams of returning to Earth, and he gets that chance when he becomes caught in a war between alien powers and only he and his friends can operate ninja robots! Featuring:
- Kazuhiko Inoue as Joe Maya. Inoue is one of Japan’s most accomplished voice actors and his career continues, with recent roles including Kakashi in Naruto and adult Flit Asuno in Gundam AGE.
- Noriko Hidaka as Jenny Ai. Another prolific seiyuu, her most famous roles include Akane Tenma in Ranma 1/2, Kikyo in Inuyasha, and Noriko Takaya in Aim for the Top! Gunbuster.
Expect to see these popping up on my blog in the coming weeks! (And if you don’t care, now you know what tags to block.)
Oh, it gets better, my friend… Daisuki.net launched today, too.